This is a past/expired downtime notification. The downtimes specified below have been completed, and remarks/results are given below as well.
Unless otherwise noted, all dates and times are given in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), with time in 24-hour notation.
Edit: Though it started just a bit late (05:07 UTC), this downtime has been completed and everything is up and running as of 05:46 UTC. I’ll update this blog post at some point after the XSAs become public with more information about those.
Third time in three months. It looks like this may just be a monthly thing now.
The Xen development team has released several critical and so far undisclosed Xen Security Advisories (XSAs), and as such, Linode (LizardNet’s provider) will be performing emergency maintenance on all of their Xen hosts. LizardNet’s sole Xen system, phazon.fastlizard4.org, will be rebooted as part of the endeavour to patch the Xen vulnerabilities before the public disclosure time of 12 October 2017. (More information can be found on the Linode status blog here; also, interestingly, last month’s XSAs also had a disclosure date of the 12th – September 12th specifically).
This blog post will be updated upon downtime completion, and when the relevant XSAs are made public.
The following server and services will experience downtime:
- Date and time of downtime start: 05:00 Wednesday 11 October 2017 UTC (convert to other timezones)
- Duration of downtime: Expected between 30 minutes and 1 hour, but up to 2 hours is possible
- Status: Completed on schedule with no issues!
- Partial list of services affected:
- LizardNet OTRS (emails sent to OTRS during the downtime will be delivered after the downtime concludes)
- LizardNet Continuous Integration (Jenkins) (Gerrit will not be able to trigger any jobs during the downtime, and they will not be run after the downtime concludes)
- LizardNet Minecraft dynamic web maps
- LizardIRC server emerald.lizardirc.org
- LizardIRC’s website
- LizardMail services on phazon.fastlizard4.org (emails sent to phazon.fastlizard4.org users during the downtime will be delivered after the downtime concludes)