Earlier today, at 23:00:02 UTC on Wednesday 23 November 2016, ridley.fastlizard4.org suffered a hard crash resulting in a brief unexpected downtime. The server was automatically brought back up by monitoring systems, followed by me verifying that everything is still functioning normally. All services should be restored to normal at this time. I have not yet identified a definitive cause for the crash; however, I will continue to analyze the data available to me and monitor for any further unexpected events.
The following is a partial list of services that were unavailable during this unexpected downtime:
- Ladies On Two Wheels forums
- Star Trek Games wiki
- Wikitroid Skintest
- LizardNet Code Review (Gerrit)
- LizardNet Code Explorer (Gitblit)
- LizardNet Minecraft servers s1, c1, and c2
- LizardNet’s Teamspeak3 server
- LizardIRC server diamond.lizardirc.org
- LizardIRC’s website
- LizardMail services on ridley.fastlizard4.org (emails sent to fastlizard4.org users during the downtime will be delivered after the downtime concludes)
This is a past/expired downtime notification. The downtimes specified below have been completed, and remarks/results are given below as well.
Unless otherwise noted, all dates and times are given in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), with time in 24-hour notation.
The Xen development team has released several critical and so far undisclosed Xen Security Advisories (XSAs), and as such, Linode (LizardNet’s provider) will be performing emergency maintenance on all of their Xen hosts. LizardNet’s sole Xen system, phazon.fastlizard4.org, will be rebooted as part of the endeavour to patch the Xen vulnerabilities before the public disclosure date of 22 November 2016. (More information can be found on the Linode status blog here.)
The following server and services will experience downtime:
- Date and time of downtime start: 12:00 Sunday 20 November 2016 UTC (convert to other timezones)
- Duration of downtime: Expected between 30 minutes and 1 hour, but up to 2 hours is possible
- Status: Completed on schedule with no issues!
- Partial list of services affected:
- LizardNet OTRS (emails sent to OTRS during the downtime will be delivered after the downtime concludes)
- LizardNet Continuous Integration (Jenkins) (Gerrit will not be able to trigger any jobs during the downtime, and they will not be run after the downtime concludes)
- LizardNet Minecraft dynamic web maps
- LizardIRC server emerald.lizardirc.org
- LizardIRC’s website
- LizardMail services on phazon.fastlizard4.org (emails sent to phazon.fastlizard4.org users during the downtime will be delivered after the downtime concludes)
Apologies for the short notice on this downtime (both from me and Linode).